Friday, July 19, 2013

The One with the Quilted Feathers Tote Bag

My best favorite part of quilting is the quilting. I *love* to push those layers through my Janome and see the designs come together.

Last week I put together a piece of Angela Walters' Right Angles Panel, and a piece of Ikea's nummers fabric just so I could practice my feather quilting. Gotta say, I *love* the results! I cut the panel across the WOF, so the practice piece was about 18" x 42" -- the finished tote is approximately 15.5" tall and 19" wide.


I FMQ'd the feathers on the panel and was thrilled to see them improve in just this short practice piece. That picture above is the front because it's got the best feathers. The photo below is the back. The feather on the left was the first one I'd done on this practice piece.



I joined the feathers together with some "Lazy L" quilting to really make the feathers pop. The handles are cotton webbing, and the gray tabs on the end are just a bit of Kona charcoal to keep the webbing from fraying.

The inside is as much fun as the outside:


I sewed it into a tote and bound the top edge. It's a fun, happy bag that holds a ton!

ko

eta: Linking up at crazymomquilts!

2 comments:

  1. Love the detailed quilting, this is beautiful. You are clearly very practised, I wouldn't know where to start. Am in awe

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fabulous quilting and love the use of the IKEA fabric.

    ReplyDelete