Wednesday, June 12, 2013

The One With The Chair

I made a chair!

Okay, so I didn't really *make* a *chair* -- I spruced up a chair! It was a challenge, in more ways than one.

My sewing chair was an office chair in its previous life. It was covered in a rather boring, office blue, tweedy sort of fabric. It's a great quality (Hon brand), and has been with me for at least eight years, and at my previous employer's office for...maybe five or more before that. She's high quality though, nary a scratch on her. Dust and thread...well, that's a different story!



Anyway. There was a "Make It Right" Challenge by Art Gallery Fabrics and Angela Walters. I spent oodles of time deliberating about what I should make. A quilt was too obvious. A tote bag might be too simple. I spent so much time deliberating that I left very little time to actually *create* something!

I did a simple piecing of a panel and some of the teal (Tile) AG solid. On the back I pieced Cozumel and Snow (I think it was snow, it was definitely white, and definitely Art Gallery!). Then I quilted it like I wanted to hurt it! I had a lot of fun quilting it, actually.

After quilting, I really had to make a decision. I could make a huge tote bag, with interesting straps, or I could Do. Something. Else.

But what? I set the quilted piece down on my chair and left the sewing room to get a drink. (Of water, people. Of water!). When I walked back in to the sewing room, Angels Sang and Light Streamed. The chair of course! Use the quilted piece to re-cover the chair!

It was just crazy enough to work. But I needed a staple gun, and I had to run out to my daughter's End of School Field Day. After three hours in the hot sun, school was out for the day and we trundled off to OSH for the necessary tool. I won't bore you with the details of that little shopping trip....lucky you! So. Once we got back home again, I wrangled open the clam shell packaging and laid hands on my new toy.

Now all that was left was cutting in to my precious quilted fabric, then affixing it to the actual chair.

There was a lot of soul searching that afternoon. Not gonna lie. I've never quilted something just for the sake of cutting it up into something else. But I did it. I'll also admit that I have a healthy respect for my electric staple gun.

Having made a short story incredibly long, I'll cut to the chase and show you the finished chair.



I entered it in the Pinterest/AG/Angela Walters contest, and am (im)patiently awaiting the final tally. Voting is open until June 27. There are loads of cool projects, and you should take a look around. Get inspired. Make your own project. Just be sure you Make It Right!

ko

PS: linking up (for the first time ever!) with Crazy Mom Quilts Finish It Up Friday!

7 comments:

  1. Wow! Love the chair. Great idea and great execution.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it's totally appropriate for a quilter to have a quilted chair! Love it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That water break was a true gem:)
    You turned that chair into one that is fresh and modern and beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great idea and truly unique! Love how you transformed a boring chair into a work of art!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love it! I won a bit of that same fabric in the last SMS giveaway and have been trying to decide what to do with it. I didn't want to cut into it too much because it's so beautiful. I love what you did, it really showcases the fabric and great job quilting!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome! I've been wanting to do the same thing with mine! You're a genius :)

    ReplyDelete